java in Linux question

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Sat May 13 00:14:36 UTC 2006

On Thu, 11 May 2006, Rickey Moore wrote:

> On Thu, 2006-05-11 at 12:22 -0400, Dan wrote:
>
>> You should really consider pointing people to the JPackage method. See:
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/JavaFAQ#head-09b609578b45f636daa3d3e6ed63b61bc0f2d85d
>> -Dan
>
> Dan, since I respect your opinions (Lawd, Lawd hep me!) I checked out
> the wiki. There are ALOT of mentions of things just not working and I am
> not suave enough to cipher it all out. So, it's kinda off-putting. If I
> really want a working java environment, with no burps in the barrel,
> what do you suggest? I gotta get this working, and why not an rpm that
> does stuff the Fedora way that also puts java really running without all
> the caveats? Thanx, Ric

Licensing.

You might try the description at
http://www.ces.clemson.edu/linux/fc5_setup.shtml#java, which updates and
simplifies the jpackage instructions a bit.  But yes, you need to build
your own Java RPMs to get them properly integrated.  The ones from Sun are
buggy.  You can install the Sun stuff without RPM but that won't integrate
right either.

You could revert to RHEL4.  The Extras disc for that comes with the IBM
Java (and another one) all packaged and ready to go.  But it's not free.

There was some noise recently about Sun relicensing Java so that it could
be redistributed.  That way, Jpackage could skip the rpmbuild step.

--
 		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu