yum upgrade

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Sun May 14 16:28:12 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-05-13 at 18:55 -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> Chris Jones wrote:
> >> Note that the downloaded update packages remain under /var/cache/yum
> >> even after they are installed.  If you have other systems you
> >> can copy them in place so you don't have to download again or
> >> if you don't have other systems you can 'yum clean all' to remove
> >> them and save space.
> >>

> > I think, just for the record, thats only true for FC4. For FC5 the default
> > behavior was switched to delete them after installation.
> >
> Another feature I don't want!
>
> What do I change to prevent yum from deleting them?

There are two changes between FC4 and FC5 that bothered me.  Both are
ones you mention.

1. The delete of packages after updates were complete.
I fixed that by editing one line in /etc/yum.conf and changed
keepcache=0 to keepcache=1

2. The keeping of only 2 kernel versions with kernel update (running
plus new).
That is fixed by changing one line
in /etc/yum/pluginconf.d/installonlyn.conf from tokeep=2 to tokeep=4.
Note that you can set that value to whatever you choose and it will keep
a total of the specified kernel versions installed.

I do wish it was easier to find the fixes for this, but at least it is
easy to solve once you know where to make the changes.