FC5 xorg and dual head

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Sun May 14 16:44:20 UTC 2006

On Sunday 14 May 2006 4:56 pm, Les Mikesell wrote:

> Actually it's not obvious at all that a libstdc++ should
> change it's interfaces on each release.  Isn't it supposed
> to implement a standard set some time ago?

I think things do change. See for instance the libstdc++so7 preview package
available for FC5. (release notes section 7.10)

> It's also not
> obvious that needed compatibility libraries would be
> omitted from a normal install.

What is a normal install ?

What I would expect, is that exactly which packages get installed during
a "normal" (clean?)  installation would depend on exactly which applications
the user asked for. The point here, is if firefox was installed in this way,
the appropriate compat libraries would be installed at this time. So for
them, a "normal" install would have them.
If, on the other hand, someone else also doing a "normal" installation might
end up not requesting any applications that require an older libstdc++, and
then I would hope it would not be installed.
(If they subsequently decided they want want a package needing it, as long as
they installed the package via yum, it would then be installed for them.)

Chris