FC5 xorg and dual head

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Sun May 14 17:23:32 UTC 2006

On Sun, 14 May 2006, Les Mikesell wrote:

> On Sun, 2006-05-14 at 09:55, Chris Jones wrote:
>
>> FC5 uses by default a NEWER version of  libstdc++.  If you install (through
>> the correct update/installation channels, i.e. yum/pup/pirut) some
>> application (such as thunderbird/firefox) which requires an older version of
>> libstdc++, then yum/pup/pirut will(or perhaps should) resolve the
>> dependencies for you and install the older compat libraries that are need.
>>
>> If, as I suspect in your case, you disregard the release notes and install
>> things differently (such as using mozilla's own installation tools or you
>> wish to install a package for which there is no rpm and you are forced to
>> build from source), then you have to resolve these dependencies yourself.
>> This is obvious and you cannot complain. If you fail to do so the fault is
>> yours not FC's
>
> Actually it's not obvious at all that a libstdc++ should
> change it's interfaces on each release.  Isn't it supposed
> to implement a standard set some time ago?  It's also not

Not so long ago that compilers won't continue to evolve toward compliance
for a while.  Also, the API is set by the standard, not the ABI.  But
it's the ABI that matters when linking.  If structures change layout or
name-mangling conventions change, you have a problem even if no changes
are needed in the your source.  The lib in question is from gcc-3.3.  The
current compilers for FC are gcc-4.x, so ABI changes shouldn't be
surprising.

> obvious that needed compatibility libraries would be
> omitted from a normal install.

They aren't ommitted if you've installed something that depends on them
from an RPM that properly indicates the dependency.

--
 		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu