How do I get a shutdown/restart dialogue option under the system menu at run level 3 in FC5?

Stanley A. Klein sklein at cpcug.org
Thu May 18 02:43:55 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-05-17 at 08:27 -0400, "Lee Maschmeyer"
<lee_maschmeyer at wayne.edu> wrote:

> Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 08:24:52 -0400
> From: "Lee Maschmeyer" <lee_maschmeyer at wayne.edu>
> Subject: Re: How do I get a shutdown/restart dialogue option under the
> 	system menu at run level 3 in FC5?
> To: "For users of Fedora Core releases" <fedora-list at redhat.com>
>
> In text mode, from any ID, the command to completely turn off the computer
> is:
>
> poweroff
>
> To restart the computer the command is:
>
> restart
>
> But according to the comments in inittab, runlevel 3 is for text mode and
> runlevel 5 is for GUI. How come you're running GUI in runlevel 3? There
> aren't any dialogs or menus at the command prompt.
>
> Thanks,

Run level 3 is just a non-graphical boot.  Entering startx at the
command prompt brings up X.  But it seems the menus are different when
doing startx in run level 3 versus graphically booting (via gdm, I
think).

According to the man page for poweroff the -h option will gracefully
stop my drives during the shutdown process.  Now the question is how do
I edit the menus and menu properties (i.e., the command executed on a
menu choice) to give me the menu options I want and run the commands I
want when I select them.

Stan Klein