can named listen to other port not 53 / some dnsmasq question.

Justin Willmert justin at jdjlab.com
Thu May 18 03:51:48 UTC 2006

M E Fieu wrote:
> Hi.. how to make named listening on port 53 of eth0:1
>
> and how to make named listening to on a non-standard localnet address like 127.0.0.2
>

> --- Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org> wrote:
>

>> M E Fieu wrote:
>>
>>> Hi..
>>>
>>> Question 1
>>> how to make the DNS Bind Name listen to other port e.g 54 instead of port 53 ??
>>>
>>> Question 2
>>> Any one used DNSmasq before? DNSmasq can query the named DNS server and if the record is not
>>> found, it will query the public DNS server that listed in resolv.conf
>>>
>>> But DNSmasq can't use the same port as the local named server, I want to set the named DNS
>>>
>> server
>>
>>> to listen to port 54 so I need to configure the DNSmasq to query via port 54 to named right?
>>>
>> Does
>>
>>> anyone know how to do it?
>>>
>> It might be easier to use an alias address rather than a different port.
>> So you could have DNSmasq listening on port 53 of eth0 and named
>> listening on port 53 of eth0:1. You might even be able to do it without
>> aliases by getting named to listen on a non-standard localnet address
>> like 127.0.0.2
>>
>> Paul.
>>
>> --

> http://mail.yahoo.com

OK, I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before because I haven't
been following the thread, but I don't see the benefit of DNSmasq from
the short description you gave. If it is to just get public DNS entries
back into you server, using the forwarders directive in named.conf would
probably be easier.

This is what the beginning of my named.conf looks like:

options {
        directory "/var/named";
        dump-file "/var/named/data/cache_dump.db";
        statistics-file "/var/named/data/named_stats.txt";
        listen-on { 192.168.1.1; };
        forwarders { 208.146.95.3; };                  <-- Insert an
external DNS server here.
};

In my fowarding section, I use the IP address of my ISP's DNS server
(though this one is spoofed).

You may have more reasons for using DNSmasq (I don't know anything about
the program), but if you just want to get external DNS entries, I'd
suggest just doing this because it's one less program that needs to be
configured and maintained.

Hope this helps you,
Justin Willmert