Can't print after CUPS update this morning?

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Thu May 18 13:14:02 UTC 2006

Tim Waugh wrote:
> On Thu, May 18, 2006 at 08:40:15AM -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>

>> I ran yum update this morning and observed some cups rpm's.
>>
>> Now I can't print at all.  It looks like the printer config. is gone
>> since none of my printers are displayed on the print screen.
>>
>> And worse yet, I can't get the cups configuration screen to work, I sign
>> in via the saved info and get a blank white screen that says "connection
>> closed."
>>

> Please file a bug report in Bugzilla:
>
>   https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/
>
> I haven't seen another report like yours.
>
> Tim.
> */

Trying to print directly from the cli produces:

# ll / | lpr
lpr: Error - scheduler not responding!

I started the update early this morning and went back to bed.  Before
that the system had been down for a few minutes, then again after seven,
my daughter was complaining she was unable to send a message that had to
go!  That leads me to believe I may have a corrupted file somewhere?

Is there a "yum" command that will force replacement of the entire
update session?  I suspect not but would hate to pick them all out
individually if not necessary.

Neither printer works, the Epson on the parallel port or the HP6840
wireless which reports "Connection: close" when I try to print the
morning crossword puzzle? And on the "print screen" all that's displayed
is a generic postscript selection?

Bob