Good Bye FC5

Lyvim Xaphir knightmerc at yahoo.com
Thu May 18 13:45:38 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-05-17 at 11:03 -0500, Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> On 5/17/06, Christofer C. Bell <christofer.c.bell at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Exactly, because of user demand.  New window behavior as opposed to tab
> > > or pane setups is retrograde evolution.
> >
> > How about some user demand for flexibility of choice?  The "open in a
> > broswer window" is not acceptable.  I want the *folder* to open *in
> > the same window*, not in a browswer window.  How about some user
> > demand for the GNOME developers to stop screwing with fundamental user
> > interface design every single release?
> >
> > I used to be of the opinion that GNOME was "the one" -- both
> > technically superior to KDE (it is) and philosophically superior (now
> > I'm doubtful).  GNOME is rapidly losing my respect as it's become less
> > and less easy to use (ironically) because I can't make it do anything
> > other than what's in The Vision(tm) of whomever is making these design
> > decisions.
> >
> > Linus is probably right, I should switch to KDE.
> >
> I did. And I didn't need a kernerl coder to tell me that.

The Enlightenment guys told the gnome guys a long time ago that they
were barking up the wrong tree.  I knew they were right then (the code
would be bloated and the philosophy bastardized) and it's still true
today.  KDE makes this system usable with more mature software, and more
technical choices are available.

Truthfully I'd rather run Enlightenment(even more user freedom), but the
E repo for FC5 doesn't seem to work.  Even if I was running E, all my
apps except for evolution would *still* be KDE.

LX
--
A wise person makes his own decisions, a weak one