my iptables setting not loaded after reboot in fc5

Hongwei Li hongwei at wustl.edu
Thu May 18 21:51:22 UTC 2006

> Here's what I did to insert a rule (using a minimal install of FC4 to set up a
> subversion server):-
>
> To open port 10000 for WebMin without nice graphical tools the following
> worked for me:-
>
> Add accept port 10000 rule to firewall:-
>
> Get a list of the current rules
> iptables -t filter -L --line-numbers
>
> Insert the rule before the last rule
> iptables -I RH-Firewall-1-INPUT 10 -j ACCEPT -p tcp -m state --state
> NEW --dport 10000
> there were 10 rules already in use in this case
>
> Configure iptables to save rule set upon restart
> vim /etc/sysconfig/iptables-config
> replace "no" with "yes" in line
> IPTABLES_SAVE_ON_RESTART="no"
>
> do
> service iptables restart
>
> put
> IPTABLES_SAVE_ON_RESTART="no"
> back to "yes"
>
> shutdown -r now
>
> and
> iptables -t filter -L --line-numbers
> to make sure it worked.
>

> Any help to you?
>
> Dave Fletcher

I did similar. But, my problem is that no matter what I do (I tested all
different ways), as long as I put
IPTABLES_SAVE_ON_RESTART="yes"
and reboot, then all of my settings are gone.

I also tried Firestarter. Strange thing is that I set some ports open from it,
and restart computer. Then, the iptables settings are the "original output"
plus whatever I set in firestarter, but the file /etc/sysconfig/iptables goes
back to "original" -- no port is opened from that file.  So, the firestarter
saves its setting somewhere else and adds them on top of the "original
setting".

Something strange. I don't understand.

Hongwei