Yum Install

David-Paul Niner dpniner at dpniner.name
Fri May 19 03:50:49 UTC 2006

On Thursday 18 May 2006 5:36 pm, Karl Larsen wrote:
> Markku Kolkka wrote:
> > Karl Larsen kirjoitti viestissään (lähetysaika torstai, 18.
> >
> > toukokuuta 2006 21:28):
> >>     Well your saying that with Adobe Acrobat just do it the
> >> old way. So I am on the Adobe web page and it will be down in
> >> 15 minutes. It's a big program. And since this is how I used
> >> to do it I will use rpm -i since I'm not upgrading anything.
> >
> > No, you should use rpm -Uvh to install or upgrade packages. Use
> > rpm -i only when you want to install package even if there's an
> > older version (e.g. for kernel packages).
>
>     Sorry, I own a copy of Maximum RPM and it goes into details for
> every control letter. There is no old copy of Adobe Acrobat here. If
> there was one it would error out telling me so. It didn't. It's
> installed and working.

As a general rule, using `rpm -Uvh` is prefered over `rpm -ivh` for
straight-up installs because of the reason described above.

Why ask for advice and then debate the answer?

Very curious,
DP

> --

David-Paul Niner, RHCE
Orange Park, Florida United States of America
http://www.dpniner.name | dpniner at dpniner.name
Registered Linux User #217494

Public key and fingerprint for GPG key 1FCE01A2:
http://www.dpniner.name/files/gpg/pubkey.asc

Free/Busy information published at:
https://horde.dpniner.name/kronolith/fb.php?u=dpniner

believed to be clean.