Security question - running a root command not being root

Tim ignored_mailbox at
Sat May 20 14:31:43 UTC 2006

Guillermo Garron:
>> I need some guys that access my server to run command that only root
>> can, specifically (tcpdump) but i don't want to pass the root password
>> to them.
>> Is there a way i can do this? without violating the "normal" security
>> rules? I mean no changing permissions to the command *tcpdump*.

Vivek J. Patankar:
> sudo

Don't forget that by allowing sudo you *can* also allow them to do any
command that normally requires root privileges.  Do this sort of thing
with care (read the guides, test things yourself thoroughly).

I read messages from the public lists.