Segmentation fault

Mogens Kjaer mk at crc.dk
Mon May 22 11:13:41 UTC 2006

Guillaume wrote:
> hi,
> I have a problem since (i tought) i upgrade my kernel to the last
> release... When i launch specific program it show me an error :
> "segmentation fault"
>
> I have 2 questions:
>
> 1) Is it possible to revert to my previous kernel version,and if yes,
> how to? (i download from a site  kernel.i686 2.6.15-1.1833_FC4.rpm but
> when i try to install it it fail...)

Most likely, the old kernel is still installed.

rpm -qa|fgrep kernel

should list the kernels installed.

To boot an old kernel, stop grub at the booting stage and
see if the old kernel is listed.

> 2) How have to do to trace the error program & find what is wrong...
>
> I run Fedora core 4 on a pentium 3 proc. The actual kernel installed
> is 2.6.16-1.2108_FC4.

You could try strace and see what happens.

boot old kernel:

strace -o oldkernel.log yourprogram

boot new kernel:

strace -o newkernel.log yourprogram

compare the two files newkernel.log and oldkernel.log

Mogens

Phone: +45 33 27 53 25, Fax: +45 33 27 47 08
Email: mk at crc.dk Homepage: http://www.crc.dk