ntpq no longer working -

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Mon May 22 14:48:28 UTC 2006

taharka wrote:
> How do,
>
> On Mon, 2006-05-22 at 07:32 -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>
>> Tim wrote:

>>> Cut and paste error?  They should all look more like:
>>>
>>> server clock2.redhat.com
>>> server ntp-1.cns.vt.edu
>>> server ntp-2.cns.vt.edu
>>> server ntp-3.cns.vt.edu
>>> server ntp-4.cns.vt.edu
>>>

>> Yes, that is exactly what it looks like before Mozilla Compose mutilated
>> them
>> in producing "plain text."
>>
>>> Those domains all resolve, here.  But I don't think you're doing
>>> yourself any favours by referring to a bunch of NTP servers at the same
>>> location.  You want a collection of different servers, else you might
>>> believe a set of servers to be true, that believe themselves to all be
>>> true, when they're not (they might all be referencing themselves).
>>>

>> Originally I had three different sources within a few hundred miles in
>> hope of minimizing delays, some went away over time and the two left always
>> worked well enough for my purposes.  Your suggestion is obviously valid.
>> But I still can't see what's happening, since ntpq doesn't work even when I
>> reduce the list to just the Redhat server.
>>
>>> I picked a collection that come from different locations:
>>>
>>> server 0.pool.ntp.org iburst
>>> server 1.pool.ntp.org iburst
>>> server 2.pool.ntp.org iburst
>>>
>>> Plus a couple of more local ones, to me (au.pool.ntp.org and my ISP's)
>>>
>> I can do something similar but first need to fix my problem.
>>

> Any hints/errors in /var/log/ntp?

I haven't found any such log, locate *log*ntp* produces nothing I
recognize as useful?

I did find:  /usr/bin/ntpstat
synchronised to NTP server (198.82.1.203) at stratum 3
   time correct to within 79 ms
   polling server every 512 s

Which seems to indicate ntp is working at least but I don't have the
convenient data display I am accustomed to.

Bob