Error 15: File not found after FC 5 Install

Tony Nelson tonynelson at georgeanelson.com
Mon May 22 16:57:44 UTC 2006

At 10:39 AM -0500 5/22/06, Jeff Vian wrote:
>On Mon, 2006-05-22 at 08:30 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
>>     Nope. I was stupid enough to try and upgrade a FC2 with FC5 and the
>> upgrade went real good. It went to completion and then it said reboot
>> and come back up. I did so and there is NO WAY in HECK this thing will
>> come up. There is a mixture of FC2 and FC5 in /boot/ and /boot/grub/ and
>> I spent a few hours trying to get it going and gave up. I had lots of
>> Error 15: File not found and other non-helpful error messages.

There is nothing wrong in simply having such a "mixture".  I have such a
"mixture" on my machine, as do other people.  Some of the grub stanzas
refer to kernels that boot to an FC3 volume, others refer to kernels that
boot to an FC5 volume.  /boot is a seperate partition from /.  All that
matters when booting is that the grub commands are sensible and that the
kernel and its ramdisk are there and the target volume has the rest of the
OS.

>This is *exactly* why an *upgrade* is not supported.
>It is impossible for the developers to know exactly what the
>configuration (Version, Kernel, update status, packages installed, etc)
>of your machine is at the time the upgrade is installed. Thus a clean
>install/upgrade cannot in any way be assured.

I copied my FC3 partition, got the copy working, and upgraded the copy to
FC5.  Earlier, I had done a clean install of FC5t3 on that partition.  Both
worked fine.  /boot contains kernels for both partitions.

The previously installed kernels, etc. are not relevent to the installer,
which doesn't use them, or upgrade them, or do anything except install a
new kernel and ramdisk and muck with grub.conf.

>To be certain the new install will work first time it should be done as
>a clean install, wiping out all prior OS parts to do it.

Clean installs also fail sometimes.