Disk 2 and 3 Corupt

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon May 22 20:54:31 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-05-22 at 16:26 -0400, Luke wrote:
> I don't image I am the only person to bring this up, but can someone point
> me to a place where I can download discs 2 and 3 for the Fedora Core that do
> not contain corrupt packages?
>
> I have downloaded both from here:
>
> ftp://ftp.uninett.no/pub/linux/Fedora/core/5/i386//iso/
>
> I have tried downloading and burning to disk twice. Both times disk 2 and 3
> were currupt (i.e.: Did not pass the integrity test, when I tried to install
> anyway, was unable to read from disk 2).

I use the kernel.org archives.  Try this link:

	http://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/core/5/i386/iso/

and download away.  Also look carefully at the content of the SHA1SUM
file.  After you download the .iso images, run:

	sha1sum name-of-iso-file

The number that spits out SHOULD MATCH EXACTLY what the SHA1SUM file
says.  If not, you have a bad download.  If the SHA1 sums match, the
.iso file is clean, and you're having issues burning them to CDs.

NOTE: CD2 and CD3 of the FC5 distribution REALLY fill up a CD.  Make
sure you're using name brand 700MB CDRs (I lean towards Memorex and
TDK) and that you do NOT burn them at maximum speed.  For example, if
you have a CDR drive that can burn at 48x, try burning at 24x or even
12x:

	cdrecord dev=ATA:1,0,0 speed=24 name-of-iso.iso
	cdrecord dev=ATA:1,0,0 speed=12 name-of-iso.iso

The reason is: CDs are written from the center of the disc out toward
the edge in a long, spiral track (like an old vinyl LP record, but in
reverse).  The faster the disc spins (to give you that higher read or
burn rate), the more likely the disc will "flutter" and the problem gets
worse the farther from the center you are.  Keeping the speed down will
reduce the flutter and give you a better chance at getting a good burn.

-                   "The bogosity meter just pegged."                -