FC4 -> FC5

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Fri May 26 11:44:04 UTC 2006

Alastair McKinley wrote:

>> > I have currently FC4 on my system,
>> > How do I upgrade it to FC5

>> INSTALL yum-2.6.1-0.fc5, which you can download from the net, and then
>> yum upgrade

> I am currently thinking about upgrading from FC4 - FC5 on my thinkpad T43.
> I like the sound of the yum upgrade option.  Are there any potential
> pitfalls one should know about with particular applications for instance?
> Has anyone any positive/negative experience of this?

(1) Is it sufficient to install this particular version of yum?
Basically, as I understand it, you have to change /etc/fedora-release -
is that included in this version of yum ?

I thought one had to download and install fedora-release-5-5.noarch.rpm
and then you could run "yum update".

(2) This does have definite disadvantages -
you have to download hundreds of packages,
and if there is some conflict it will be hours before you find out.

(3) The alternative is to get the fedora-5 CDs or DVD
and choose the upgrade option.
This is much simpler, and I would certainly try it first.
You can always try the other method if it doesn't work.
[That is what I did on one machine.]

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366