Does Fedora mess up the clock for Windows?

Lee Maschmeyer lee_maschmeyer at wayne.edu
Fri May 26 16:53:42 UTC 2006

Hi all,

I have a dual boot system with FC5 and Windows XP. On FC5 I run ntpd with
the default config files. The drift file varies widely, from -0.4 or so to
as much as -60 or 100 or more. Generally the longer Fedora is up the smaller
the number, though it's always negative.

But Windows is losing time hand over fist, maybe a couple minutes or more in
a 3-hour Windows session. I use an old program (AtomTime95) to correct the
Windows clock periodically but it doesn't do any permanent good.

I had the same kind of thing happen with Fedora 4. It went away when I
installed Fedora 5 until I activated ntpd.

According to /var/log/messages Fedora has to set the clock back about a
second or so every time I boot it, but nowhere near the gargantuan
misalignment of Windows.

Does anybody have any idea how to make these two guys live happily together
sharing the clock? Yes, Fedora does use local time - at least, that's the
way I installed it..

Thanks much,

--
Lee Maschmeyer