Ext3 Journal

Frank Frank at lists.sytes.net
Sun May 28 15:17:55 UTC 2006

Ed Greshko wrote:
> > lately i was trying to change the Journal Mode to data=journal in the
> > fstab. Unxpected Result was on restart: the Filessystem is only
> > readable! What did i miss ?
>
> Are you trying to do this on the root partition?

yes

> If so, I don't think
> it is possible at boot time.  If I recall correctly, you need to boot
> from a rescue CD such that the file system is not mounted and then use
> tune2fs to set up a journal.

i was booting from the first FC5 CD, gone to rescue mode, than passed
a tune2fs -j /dev/hda5 which resulted in " this filesystem has already a
journal" , than passed a data=journal to the relevant line in the fstab.

If i discovered this right, FC5 defaults to data=ordered which for me
not the most secure mode. I want to reboot with reboot -f ;)

regards, Frank