[udev] Changing USB scanner group permissions

Gilboa Davara gilboad at gmail.com
Mon May 29 21:27:53 UTC 2006

Hello all,

On one of my FC5 workstation I've got a USB scanner that's being
shared by me and my GF.
I've created a "sane" group (which includes us both) and edited the
/etc/udev/rules.d/60-libsane.rules file adding "GROUP="sane",
MODE="0660"" to the (appropriate) scanner line.
When I connect the scanner, the /dev/bus/sub/x/x device node ownership
changes to "gilboa:sane" (as configured) but somehow, someone
re-modifies (?) the access mode to 0600 (instead of 0660).

Anyone has any idea which file I should edit to keep the scanner
access mode at 0660 (instead of 0600)?

Thanks,
Gilboa
P.S. I did get it to work just fine on FC4. I just don't seem to
remember what I did to make it work...