compiling software for diff. Releases/Linuxs

Götz Reinicke goetz.reinicke at filmakademie.de
Tue May 30 06:53:44 UTC 2006

Hi,

for now all software I neede was availabel as rpm for my systems using
the features I wanted. But now I have to install some packages with
modified compile options and some packages aren't availabel as rpms for
my OS release.

I don't want to install all compiler-stuff on all systems so I'd like to
have one development station.

My question now: Can I compile the software (and build an rpm) on this
system and copy this installer to the others? Of cours I have to look
for dependencies like libraries etc.

E.g. the development station is FC5 and the other Systems are RHEL3&4
and FC 2&3.

Or do I have to compile the software on the same OS releas I'd like to
install it later?

Thank you for any explanations!

Best regards

Götz Reinicke