system clock misbehaving

Ali Sobhi sobhi at us.ibm.com
Tue May 30 19:42:05 UTC 2006

I've been struggling with system clock on my system since day 1 that I
installed FC5.
I did not have any problems with FC4.

I stopped using NPTD for time sync, turned off most of the services, tried
to look through
log files and can't find anything which tells me what is happening. I have
not turned off any cron or anacron activities yet.

Here is what I'm seeing with regard to system clock. After about 48 to 56
hours of up time, the system slows down,
no apparent memory or CPU hog on the queue. The response time goes up for
a simple date or ls command.

looking at "/proc/driver/rtc" and date output, there is about 8+ hours
difference which normally happens within very
short period of time (~ 4 hours). Continuously typing date, I can see the
clock going back and forth. "sleep 1" takes about couple of
minutes to complete. My only solution so far has been to do the following
twice and then "sync; reboot -f"

ntpdate <MyTimeServer>
rm -f /etc/adjtime
hwclock -w

After this, everything seems OK until another 48 to 56 hours. I'm thinking
about putting this in a cron job and rebooting the machine
every morning.

I have to mention that I have two different type of machines that have
been up and running for 32 days now without any time problem and both
are using NTPD.

any pointers to where to look for source of problem and/or additional info
 would be helpful.

Regards,

Ali Sobhi
Sr. Consultant - IBM Research