Problems w/ serial flow control

Philip Prindeville philipp_subx at redfish-solutions.com
Wed May 31 03:25:37 UTC 2006

Hi.

I'm running FC3 on an MSI-7142 (K8MM-V motherboard), and using
the two serial ports on the m/b.  I used the stock out-of-the-shrinkwrap
settings for most hardware (except for the sound board and X drivers),
and things have worked fine.

But... when connecting to a router's console at 115200 with either
RTS/CTS or XON/XOFF flow control, I'm seeing dropped
characters.

Any ideas why?

With a 16-deep FIFO, and a 3.2G processor (an Athalon 2800+), I
shouldn't be seeing overruns or even the queue filling up (assuming
the watermark is at 14 or 15...).

So... what's the issue?  I couldn't figure out what module was being
used...  looks like it's a compiled-in driver, so I'm not sure how to
find what parameters would need to be set.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

-Philip