yum and kernel

James Wilkinson fedora at westexe.demon.co.uk
Wed May 31 12:15:08 UTC 2006

nightrid3r wrote:
> I had to install a customized kernel to get my hardware working.
> now i want to make sure that a 'yum update' doesn't install a new
> kernel.

Matt C has told you what you want to know, but...

Do be aware that you won't get any kernel security fixes this way. There
have been quite a few security issues for the kernel recently:

http://lwn.net/Articles/184650/ (2.6.16.18)
http://lwn.net/Articles/184501/ (2.6.16.17)
http://lwn.net/Articles/183202/ (2.6.16.16)
http://lwn.net/Articles/182977/ (2.6.16.15)
http://lwn.net/Articles/182631/ (2.6.16.14)
http://lwn.net/Articles/182229/ (2.6.16.13)
http://lwn.net/Articles/181190/ (2.6.16.11)
http://lwn.net/Articles/180774/ (summary of the earlier 2.6.16 series).

These vulnerabilities are unlikely to affect well-firewalled stand-alone
systems with trusted users. If you've got other computers on your local
network, then if they get cracked, you could be in trouble.

That's thirteen security releases in about two months.

James.

--
E-mail address: james | WARNING:  Pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL again will restart
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | your computer.  Then again, what won't?  You will