Problems w/ serial flow control

Philip Prindeville philipp_subx at redfish-solutions.com
Wed May 31 18:48:22 UTC 2006

Rick Stevens wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-05-31 at 12:14 -0600, Philip Prindeville wrote:
>
>> Tim wrote:

>>> Looking at a friend's router, his one's serial port connection *ONLY*
>>> had the three-wire type of serial connection.  So his couldn't possibly
>>> use hardware handshaking (RTS/CTS).  Perhaps yours can't too?
>>>
>>> Also, check what your router says about its maximum port speeds and
>>> handshaking protocols.
>>>

>> It is an 8-wire connection (over RJ-45 to DB-9), and can do 115200 (max
>> rate)
>> with either XON/XOFF or RTS/CTS.
>>
>> I've tried both, and they're both lossy.
>>
>> The issue is on the PC as the receiver...
>>

> Remember that both ends have to agree on the flow control.  If one is
> running  RTS/CTS and the other is XON/XOFF, you don't have flow control.
> At 115K, I'd always opt for RTS/CTS...XON/XOFF requires CPU intervention
> unless you have fairly sophisticated hardware.  All you have to do is
> be a bit pokey at responding to an interrupt and you'll drop characters.
> RTS/CTS is usually done at the hardware level and is a bit more
> reliable.

I started with RTS/CTS...  And had it set on both ends.

I'm using the FC5 version of kermit.  My .kermrc looks like:

set modem type none
set line /dev/ttyS0
set carrier-watch off
set speed 115200
set flow rts/cts
set parity none
set stop-bits 1
connect

Not sure what the difference is between "/dev/tty0" and
"/dev/ttyS0"...

-Philip