Cut, Copy, Paste Nightmare

David Cary Hart Fedora at TQMcube.com
Wed May 31 19:43:59 UTC 2006

On Wed, 31 May 2006 14:36:55 -0500, Les Mikesell
<lesmikesell at gmail.com> opined:
> On Wed, 2006-05-31 at 11:54 -0700, Gordon Messmer wrote:
>
> > And here's a statement that you probably never thought you'd see:
> > The best explanation of this that I've seen was a slashdot
> > comment.
> > http://ask.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=109755&cid=9319130
> >
> > So, basically, there are two clipboards in X.  If you select text
> > with the mouse, you can paste it with the middle button.  If you
> > use the "copy" menu item (or ctrl+c), you can paste it with the
> > "paste" menu item (or ctrl+v).  As long as you don't try to mix
> > the two, like expecting "paste" to insert something that you
> > selected with the mouse, you should be fine.
>
> That's a little confusing. Almost everywhere the keyboard versions
> of copy/paste work there is also a right-mouse menu that works
> the same way as the keyboard, so the distinction isn't between using
> the mouse and the keyboard, it is between using the clipboard or
> the selection.  That is, anything selected will paste with the
> middle mouse (and I disagree with the slashdot article calling
> this the 'advanced' way - it is the basic X way), and things
> copied to the clipboard with either the right-mouse menu copy
> or the keyboard equivalent will paste with either the right-mouse
> menu or the keyboard equivalent.  Since many applications need
> the keystrokes for something else, you'll have a lot fewer surprises
> if you use the right-mouse method most places.  Also, if you use
> 'synergy' to let a single keyboard/mouse access multiple computers
> running different OS's, the right-mouse action usually work no
> matter where you are.

Add to that KDE's intervention with Klipper which can be configured
to synchronize the contents of the clipboard and selection or provide
a separate clipboard and selection. Neither provides results exactly
as expected.

--
Our DNSRBL - Eliminate Spam: http://www.TQMcube.com
The Dirty Dozen Spammiest Ranges: http://tqmcube.com/dirty12.php