Timezone weirdness on dual boot machine

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Wed Nov 1 02:26:24 UTC 2006

On Tue, 31 Oct 2006, David Scriven wrote:

> I'm running FC6 & Win XP on a dual boot machine - Intel Core 2 Duo,
> Intel 965 chipset
>
> There a weird situation with the clock which shows up when I go from FC6
> to Win XP and back. If the clock is correct in FC6 and you go to XP the
> clock is eight hours fast. If it is then corrected and you go back to
> FC6, it is eight hours slow. The zones are set correctly for both
> systems - Pacific Time zone = GMT-8, so my guess is that FC6 is not
> correctly interpreting the timezone info when reading the system clock.
>
> Anybody else come across this? - Is there something that I should set
> (or check whether it's been set)?

What's in /etc/sysconfig/clock?

If UTC=true, then Linux will store UTC (GMT) in the hardware clock on
shutdown.  Windows only understands local time in the hardware clock.
The Time Zone tab of system-config-date has a checkbox to set UTC or local
time.

Note that having the hardware clock set to local time on a dual-boot
machine can be annoying around the daylight savings changes.

--
 		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu