mount doesn't mount on boot-up

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Wed Nov 1 05:40:13 UTC 2006

David: Thanks for taking the time to help - see comments below

On Tue October 31 2006 10:46 pm, David G. Miller wrote:
> Claude Jones <claude_jones at levitjames.com> wrote:
> > I'm saying that if I mount the drive manually, it works. If I reboot
> > the machine, the drive fails to mount. I see a few error messages
> > during boot-up and it says mount failed. When the machine comes back
> > up to the desktop, I can then mount manually again, without problem.
> > My fstab: LABEL=/ / ext3 defaults 1 1 LABEL=/boot1 /boot ext2 defaults
> > 1 2 devpts /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0 tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs
> > defaults 0 0 LABEL=/home /home ext3 defaults 1 2
> > LABEL=/home/cj/archive /home/cj/archive ext3 defaults 1 2 proc /proc
> > proc defaults 0 0 sysfs /sys sysfs defaults 0 0 LABEL=SWAP-sda2 swap
> > swap defaults 0 0 What is strange is the fact that the system tries to
> > use /sdb1 instead of /sdc1 on reboot, even though the drive was
> > manually mounted using /sdc1
> > -- Claude Jones Brunswick, MD, USA
>
> As a guess, the partition label is screwed up.  The OS uses this
> statement in fstab to attempt the mount at boot:
>
> LABEL=/home/cj/archive  /home/cj/archive  ext3    defaults     1 2

This is supposedly what should work, if I'm reading all the man pages
correctly - that's the entry that had been created automatically by whatever
process does that

> and, somehow, the label gets mapped to /dev/sdb1.  But this is what works:
>
> mount -t ext2 -w /dev/sdc1 /home/cj/archive

Here's where the mystery begins - that command *does* work, but, it's
incorrect! The file system is ext3 not ext2 - I know they're related, but, I
just experimented, and I can mount manually using that command with either
ext2 OR ext3???

> Definitely not the same.  A quick fix is to just change fstab to use the
> device definition that works:
>
> /dev/sdc1	/home/cj/archive  ext3    defaults     1 2

I've tried this, but, it still doesn't work -

> I'm guessing there is a user program such as diskdruid to change the
> partition label.  Unfortunately, I don't know what it is.  Perhaps
> someone else on the list can enlighten both of us.

tune2fs is supposed to be able to do this, but I couldn't grasp the
explanation of how it works well enough to attempt it when I tried in
somewhat of a hurry a couple of weeks ago

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA