Analog Telephone Adapter usage

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Nov 2 07:08:35 UTC 2006

On Thursday 02 November 2006 01:33, Michael Wiktowy wrote:
>On 11/1/06, Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
>> Ah, but how would you call someone who wasn't using Skype?  That's
>> where this VOIP thing falls apart.  If you want to call someone who
>> uses Skype, you need it as well, and vice versa.  Then how many other
>> systems do you also have, for your friends who use something that's not
>> Skype? It's the same madness as ICQ vs MSN vs Yahoo vs Jabber...  They
>> don't talk to each other, and you'll never convince some people to use
>> a different system.  It's a bit shortsighted to think that you won't
>> need anything else than Skype.
>
>That is the beauty behind SIP providers like Gizmo and FWD. They
>openly peer with one another so you can call other users from a
>different provider just by using an "area code".

That is also the achilles heel of SIP. I've now signed up for several of
these providers, but the confirming email containing the connection
details never arrives, and there is no place where one can actually
contact a human to straighten things out, AND their software won't allow
you to repeat the process.  My guess is that verizon is (its a fact they
filter according to their broken definition of spam and you can't opt out
without changing your email address) out these emails "from the
competition" to preserve their stranglehold on their long distance income.
Because of this, I have yet to make a phone call with anything but skype.

If someone knows howto make ekiga work, without having to screw around with
the confirming emails, please educate me.

>That is the thing that sucks about Vonage (eventhough it uses SIP too)
>and Skype ... they don't provide these interconnections.

And that will be their achilles heel.  All the tv adds notwithstanding,
until I can call anybody, and there is a directory service that works
across all these providers, its all going to be an also ran at the end of
the month.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)