mount doesn't mount on boot-up [Solved]

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Thu Nov 2 15:14:58 UTC 2006

On Thu November 2 2006 7:39 am, Claude Jones wrote:
> On Thu November 2 2006 2:09 am, David G. Miller wrote:
> > Claude Jones <claude_jones at levitjames.com> wrote:
> > > Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00  <---
> > >   Vendor: ATA      Model: ST3160023AS      Rev: 3.05
> > >   Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI
> > > revision: 05 Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00  <---
> > >   Vendor: ATA      Model: ST3300622AS      Rev: 3.AA
> > >   Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI
> > > revision: 05
> >
> > It looks like the SCSI ID being assigned to these drives is
> > the same.   The ordered triple (Channel, ID, LUN) should be
> > unique for each device. Don't know how this can happen since
> > it should never happen.
> >
> > Unfortunately, all of the relics here don't use SATA drives
> > so I can't take this any further.  Also, it looks like the
> > system sorts it all out by the time you get a command prompt
> > so everything eventually works; you just can't do things
> > automatically during the boot process.
> >
> > Past my bedtime here.  Hope this helps.
>
> Sure it helps. I did see that issue, but didn't know enough to
> know whether that was abnormal. I can see where that could
> cause problems in the early boot process, if it is seeing two
> drives as the same drive, in effect... I'm going to start a
> new SATA thread on this, and see if any responds. Could just
> be I've found a SATA bug...

For the record: Paul Howarth had suggested a fix which post I
somehow missed, to wit:

"With the drive not mounted, do:
$ chcon -t mnt_t /home/cj/archive

You can then simulate the attempted mount at boot time:
# service netfs start

Alternatively you could just reboot to check that the problem is
fixed
for sure.

Paul."

This has fixed the problem...