fc kernels vs standard?

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Thu Nov 2 20:19:42 UTC 2006

Mike Wright wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I was trying to apply the ipset patch to the kernel shipped with fc4
> and it didn't take.  The patch README advised that it may not apply
> cleanly to distro specific kernels.  I'd really like to be able to use
> the extensions to netfilter.
>
> Could somebody point out (or point me to) the differences between the
> stock kernels from kernel.org and those generated for fedora, and why?
>
> Been running RH in production since 5.2.  Hate to have to change
> platforms because the fc kernel has diverged so far from the standard.

I think you'll find that all distros will exhibit more or less the same
issues with that patch.  All distros I know of patch their kernels in
specific ways depending on the distro.  You're best bet is to compile a
vanilla kernel with the netfilter extensions patch.  In fact, even if
that patch did take in the Fedora version, I'm not sure I'd try to use
it.  If I need a specific patch that's not part of a distros kernel, I
always go vanilla for it.

--
Ceterum censeo, Carthago delenda est.

Mark Haney