Is KDE on Fedora really that bad?

ne... guhvies at gmail.com
Thu Nov 2 22:09:09 UTC 2006

On 11/2/06, Globe Trotter <itsme_410 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>
> > Globe Trotter wrote:
> > >  It
> > > would really help, if one could install FC with xfce and no gnome or KDE.
> > If
> > > gnome or KDE needs to be installed just to get things like firefox or
> > others
> > > working, I don't see where XFCE fits in.
> >
> > You can already do that in Fedora Core 6. In the installer select Fedora
> > Extras, unselect GNOME and you should be done. Firefox does not depend
> > on any particular desktop environment.
> >
> > Rahul
> >

> Thanks, I tried this. But you still end up with a huge amount of gnome stuff.
> If you do a yum remove gnome-\*, almost everything goes, including firefox.
Thank you for stating this. I had to go thru all the options and
deselect all the GNOME stuff that it wanted to install even tho I
explicitly stated I wanted only KDE. And to add insult to injury, it
set the web-browser & e-mail icon thingy to Firefox & Evolution. Well
I use KDE and for me that mean Konqueror as browser & KMail/Kontact
for e-mail. Suffice to say I had already rpm -e'd Firefox and made
sure nothing to do with Evolution was on my system.

The only thing that can be said of FC6 is that it seems quite fast
compared to FC5 & 4. I only hope superkaramba does not crash with the
frequency that it does on FC5. I must say these days I do spent most
of my time in openSUSE 10.1 and not FC.

ne...
Certified: 75% bastard, 42% of which is tard.
http://www.thespark.com/bastardtest
Now accepting personal mail for GMail invites.