OT: Interesting news - what does this mean for RH?

Will Yonker aragonx at dcsnow.com
Fri Nov 3 03:06:49 UTC 2006

<quote who="Steffen Kluge">
> http://www.novell.com/news/press/item.jsp?id=1196
> http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/default.mspx

I would say this has broader ramifications than the impact it will have on
Redhat.  I think the Novell announcement is more detrimental for Redhat
than this.

Microsoft has made one thing very clear though.  They are not trying to
give their customers choice.  They are trying to be their customer's only
choice.  I can't remember all of the forces at play when UNIX fragmented
but I've been told that Microsoft had something to do with it.  This seems
like a similar play.

Maybe it's just me though...

In any case, these are interesting times for Linux.  If we survive
Microsoft and Oracle's assaults, we will be a much stronger community and
a much stronger force in the marketplace.

believed to be clean.