Running own mail server

Edward Dekkers edward at tripled.iinet.net.au
Fri Nov 3 15:25:02 UTC 2006

Hey there guys,

for years I've run fetchmail to grab mail from my isp in multidrop mode.

Now, my area is finally ADSL enabled. The ISP I'm going with gives out
free static IP addresses. I've also bought a domain name which is
currently parked.

I'm pretty sure I can get the sendmail part sorted, but DNS has me
confused. At the domain name site, I can put in two name server fields.

Originally I thought I could just run DNS here on my Linux box. But
apparently from what I understand of the reading I'm doing I'd need two
servers to do this.

Other readings I'm doing are telling me to use my ISP's DNS servers and
have them set up the records for me.

At this stage I do not know whether that will cost money or not.

Some whispers around the traps tell me there's free DNS hosting services
all over the net.

All in all I'm very confused.

Could someone tell me what step 1 would be to get this going?

Thanks
Ed.