Getting yum to use RPMs from local disk

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Fri Nov 3 15:30:39 UTC 2006

Anoop Chandran wrote:
> Hey Guys,
>
> I had selected the "Customize later" option, while installing
> FC6. Now I have the dumped the rpms to my disk and want yum
> to use the rpms in local disk., rather than getting them from the
> repositories.
>
> For eg. yum groupinstall "development tools" should start picking
> the rpms which I've dumped to the local disk.
>
> I tried setting up a web server on local box and configring yum to use
> it. however it wasn't entirely successful.
>
> Can this be done? Is there an easier method (other than going to
> online repositories) or am I missing any options of yum?

Try creating your own copy of the repodata using "createrepo". Supposing
you have your FC6 RPMs copied to /srv/distros/fc6/i386/RPMS, try this:

1. Copy the comps.xml file from the repodata directory on your install
media to /srv/distros/fc6/i386

$ cd /srv/distros/fc6/i386
$ createrepo -g comps.xml .

Then point yum at the /srv/distros/fc6/i386 directory for your core repo
and see how it goes.

Paul.