The plus plus

Steffen Kluge kluge at dotnet.org
Fri Nov 3 16:55:02 UTC 2006

On 04/11/2006, at 3:31 AM, Andy Green wrote:

> Therefore it does matter what language you are using, it does
> affect how you come at a problem, how you can consider a solution,
> and how successful you will be with the implementation.  In short
> you cannot correctly choose an architecture without deeply
> understanding the constraints of the implementation, and that
> inevitably includes the abilities of the language.

I guess this is where we disagree. No modern programming environment
imposes limits on the software engineer that requires him or her
change the software design. If it does then the software engineer is
misguided and tool-centric.

I'm old fashioned (not 1970's as you guessed but 1980's) and I think
software engineering is 90% paper and pencil. This doesn't sit at all
well with geeks who can't be dragged away from the keyboard. But if
you design as you code (within the constraints of your development
environment) you are bound to make fundamental design errors. Design
versus implementation, such an old mantra I'm almost embarassed to
repeat it.

Here's a challenge: design the most ambitious software project you
can, and then point out any of our modern programming languages you
cannot use to implement your design. Performance doesn't count, since
we're trying to prove that choice of tools doesn't limit imagination.

Cheers
Steffen.