Java on FC6

Dustin Ratliffe dustin.ratliffe at gmail.com
Fri Nov 3 18:08:46 UTC 2006

On 11/2/06, Fernando Lozano <fernando at lozano.eti.br> wrote:
> Hi Dustin,
> > I strongly recommend avoiding Sun's packaging of Java and instead
> > following Paul Howarth's instructions for installing Sun's Java in a
> > manner consistent with JPackage conventions.
> >
> > http://www.city-fan.org/tips/JpackageJava
> >
> > See also:
> > Afraid of trying JPackage?
> > (
> > http://weblogs.java.net/blog/flozano/archive/2006/08/afraid_of_tryin.html
> > )
> I allways use JPackage conventions with Fedora and RHEL, and my script
> from the last link works fine with FC6. It just doesn't adds the Java
> plugin to Firefox. But I heard FC6 can do that using alternatives...
>
> []s, Fernando Lozano

Hi Fernando,

Thanks for reporting that your script works fine on Fc6. It should
make getting a JPackage compliant install of Sun's Java on Fedora just
about as easy as the Ubuntu folks can (they have it in their repo as
they are a bit more liberal in what licenses they accept).

I'll be doing a clean install of Fc6 on my home system this weekend.
I'll try your script and report back on my success.

Dustin