[Fwd: Re: So Long, SuSE, We Hardly Knew Ye!]

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sat Nov 4 01:36:31 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-11-03 at 19:54 -0500, Ric Moore wrote:
> 1.) Dump Gnome, get with the KDE crowd with both feet. Make friends
> there while they still feel alienated and betrayed.

I've been biting my tongue over this thread, until now.  It all seems to
be about the KDE zealots, mostly those in love with it, but a few
against it.  Personally, I've never liked KDE, I've found it a right
pain.  I don't think Gnome is super brilliant, but I prefer over KDE by
a long chalk.  KDE isn't even installed on any of my systems, anymore.

However...  The OS distributor ought to be making window manager
agnostic systems.  It shouldn't be concentrating on one system to the
detriment of the other.  Nor flailing about trying to be all things to
everything, but nothing much good on any of them.

Likewise, I want applications that work by themselves.  I shouldn't need
to have to have Gnome or KDE to run a word processor, web browser, or
mail client.  Sure, Gnome and KDE can have their own special clients.
But an OS ought to come with clients that aren't dependent.

Configuration GUIs could be a lot better if someone could come up with a
universal template file for the configuration options.  Something that a
machine could parse and generate a GUI based upon the options available
in the program, rather than some coder having to write special
configuration GUIs.  e.g. The template says an option is part of the
"main" configuration, two mutually exclusive options, and you get
something in the main section with two options that can't be selected
together.  Likewise, it'd state what's related, or grouped together, and
you'd automatically have a configurator that did that.

I read messages from the public lists.