SDRAM or DDRAM in linux

Chong Yu Meng chongym at cymulacrum.net
Sat Nov 4 05:27:46 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-08-28 at 23:10 +0530, Niklaus wrote:

> 1) How do i find out when the machine is online , if it is SDRAM or
> DDRAM. I tried dmidecode utility but i was not sure about the type.
> Can someone help me out by pasting the output for both DDR and SDRAM
> in dmidecode or similar.

Use dmidecode to find out the MODEL and make of your
motherboard/computer. Whenyou run dmidecode, scroll down to the sections
on System Information and Base Board Information. This is what my laptop
specs look like:

Handle 0x0001, DMI type 1, 25 bytes.
System Information
        Manufacturer: ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
        Product Name: A3E
        Version: 1.0
        Serial Number: SSNXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
        UUID: XXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXX
        Wake-up Type: Power Switch

Handle 0x0002, DMI type 2, 8 bytes.
Base Board Information
        Manufacturer: ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
        Product Name: A3E
        Version: 1.0
        Serial Number: BSNXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Then lookup the motherboard/computer model using Google. There is a site
called memoryworld.com or something (I forget!) that sometimes provides
information about the memory components that are suitable for the
system.

HTH

pascal chong