nvidia drivers won't build

Rick Bilonick rab at nauticom.net
Sat Nov 4 07:07:52 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-11-04 at 00:52 -0500, Rick Bilonick wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-11-03 at 18:08 +0000, Felix Mathais wrote:
> > look for autoconf.h and copy or symlink it into
> > config.h
> >
> > Felix
> By symlink I'm assuming you mean:
>
> > ln -s autoconf.h config.h
>
> This creates a symbolic link (config.h) pointing to autoconf.h. I did
> this but I still could not get the nvidia driver (8776 I believe) from
> the Nvidia download site to build, nor could I get nvidia-x11-drv rpm to
> build and install. I was able to get the kmod-nvidia (and a related
> file) to build and install - but, although it produces an accelerated
> display capable of displaying HDTV .ts files, it locks up if you try to
> change aspect ratio in mplayer, xine, and kaffeine. I just went to check
> the nvidia driver version and sure enough the X11 display locked up.
>
> Rick B.

Given that X locks up when running xine, mplayer and kaffeine, I tried
to install the nvida driver from the web site again. Now it builds and
installs although it took several attempts and I also removed the
kmod-nvia and related files. So the nvidia driver "works" but mplayer,
xine, (and I'm assuming) kaffeine cause the system to completely freeze
(so bad you can't get to a console terminal by hitting cntr alt f1)
forcing a hard reboot. I never had problems with FC5 and the proprietary
driver. It's a good thing this is a test unit and not the working HDTV
recorder. At this point I don't see any option but to re-install FC5 and
wait to these problems are resolved.

Rick B.