java in browser

Mick Mearns off_by_1 at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 5 01:57:58 UTC 2006

--- "M. Lewis" <cajun at cajuninc.com> wrote:

> Ric Moore wrote:
> > On Sat, 2006-11-04 at 17:24 -0600, Chris Mohler wrote:
> >> Enter the following "address" into firefox and see if Java is
> listed:
> >>
> >> about:plugins
> >
> > Thanks for posting this, I had forgotten to use it. I find that
> java
> > isn't seen, and that I have both versions 7 and 9 of shockwave. How
> do I
> > get rid of the version 7? Ric
>
> I'm in a similar boat. I have installed and checked Sun java twice
> per
> Stanton Finley's instructions. I don't have it listed in
> about:plugins
> either.

Hi;
 I just tried it.
I downloaded the *.rpm.bin" file.

[root at localhost ~]# chmod +x jre*
[root at localhost ~]# ./jre*rpm.bin

hit the space bar until the end of the license blurb, then "y" "enter"
finally:
[root at localhost plugins]# ln -s
/usr/java/jre1.5.0_09/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so
libjavaplugin_oji.so

That is supposed to be on one line.
Now close firefox and restart it.
"about:plugins" now showsa bunch of java stuff.

Mick

Death before Decaf!!!