GnoSense

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Sun Nov 5 03:59:28 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-11-02 at 20:00 +0000, Andy Green wrote:
> Ric Moore wrote:
>
> > I think that attitude will only hurt FC. Gnome plainly reeks, according
> > to my perspectives.
> >
> > It was borne from a bunch of Stallman style politics, with the Gnome
> > crowd being the most vicious I've seen in their attacks in online
> > forums. THAT turned me off more than anything.
>
> Hm well you're going to love this turn of events:
>
> ''...
> Ted Teah, FSF's free software directory maintainer explained, "With all
> the kernel firmware and restricted repositories removed, and the
> reliance on Ubuntu's proprietary distribution management tool Launchpad
> gone, this distribution is the most advanced GNU/Linux distribution that
> has a commitment to be 100% free."
> ...''
>
> http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS7506163557.html
>
> The FSF is now in the distro business with their own Ubuntu -> GnoSense
> distro.
Here's the part I absolutely love:
<quote> At this time, Debian still does contain some proprietary
software, in both the current Sarge distribution and in the upcoming
Etch distribution. The Debian developers felt that they had no choice
but to do this, because there is no open-source replacement for some
proprietary device firmware contained within the Debian kernel packages.
Without these binary "blobs," many WiFi and graphic drivers will not
work at all, or at a minimal level, on Linux. <end-quote>

Blobs, are they like "tubes"?? <eg> God will handle these people, he
surely will. It does look like the proprietary bit of Ubunto's installer
goes out the door as well. With the likes of these bozos insulting the
intelligence of a community noted for a fair amount of brains amongst
them, RedHat <rant on> can grab the moment and go with it, while the
iron is hot. Or, lose the moment. <rant off> Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
http://www.wayward4now.net