xorg, i810 and DPMS

Marcelo Magno T. Sales marcelo.sales at sefaz.pe.gov.br
Sun Nov 5 06:53:01 UTC 2006

People,

I have a Centrino notebook with Intel 915GM video chipset, which uses
the i810 xorg driver.
However, DPMS is not working right.
I configure KDE to turn off the display after 20 minutes of
inactivity. The display turns itself off after this time, but then
the backlight turns on again after 10 seconds or so and the screen
remains blank.
If I command "xset dpms force off", the same thing happens: the
display turns off and the backlight turns on again after 10 seconds.
"vbetool dpms off", however, works as expected.
Option "dpms" is set to "on" in xorg.conf. Is this a bug or a
misconfiguration?

Thanks,

Marcelo