Gnome has disaapeared in FC6 and only KDE remains.-SOLVED

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Sun Nov 5 22:57:30 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-11-05 at 16:36 +0100, Nigel Henry wrote:
> On Sunday 05 November 2006 15:40, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > On Sat, 2006-11-04 at 17:33 -0600, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > > My experience with FC6 is getting worse and worse. I had the machine
> > > coming up in Gnome. The system offer end me some updates some of which I
> > > chose.
> > >
> > > Now the machine comes up In KDE. Neither the Sessions option not the
> > > Deskswitcher Tool will allow me to choose GNOME as my desktop. What  do
> > > I do now?
> >
> > Now I don't want to make this too much of a mystery, What happened was
> > piyut or one of the update functions removed gnome-session. But to get
> > it back is a big problem.
> > First, as I illustrated in a previous message "FC6 update mystery, yum
> > in FC6 simply does not work. Despite I have all the reposa installed you
> > is unable to do a complete update because it can't find the dependencies
> > needed. How can that be since these dependencies must be in one of the
> > repos. Someone explain this or admit that yum is broken!
> >
> > Now let us get back to bringing back GNOME. I ran switchdesk GNOME and
> > it told me that GNOME was not installed and I need to run a
> > GROUPINSTALL. I tried. That did not initially work because the
> > intallation wanted an earlier version of beagle than the currently
> > installed version. So I excluded beagle and beagle-gui and the
> > installation succeed.
> >
> > BUT FORM MY POINT OF VIEW FC6 IS CURRENTLY UNUSABLE BECAUSE YUM IS
> > CURRENTLY UNUSABLE.  I will be glad to have someone give me a
> > explanation for my problem.
>
> I can't help with the problem, but how did you do the "Groupinstall" if Yum
> isn't working, or is it just the updates that Yum is not working for. I use
> Apt and Synaptic as an update manager, which are in FC5's extras, and I
> presume are in FC6's as well. Even if you normally use Yum it's usefull to
> have an alternative if Yum should break, and Apt handles some problems with
> deps differently to Yum. If Apt sees a dep problem that's causing the update
> to fail it will suggest removing the offending package that's causing the
> problems, and you can always try and put it back later. But at least you'll
> be able to get the updates.
Well the problem here eas that hte beagle roms that the GROUPINSTALL
expected had already been updated to newer versions. I just had to
exclude beagle from the GROUPINSTALL.

> > On top of that piyut is dangerous to the extent I find it unusable.
>
> Agreed, and perhaps the fact that it's tied in with Yum explains some of that.
> Personally I don't understand what the developers were thinking, when they
> removed up2date, and the old "add and remove packages" tool from FC5, knowing
> that post install with pirut it would be impossible to add packages from the
> cdroms without losing 3GB of harddrive space by creating a local repo for the
> cdroms. Pirut is supposed to be being fixed, so that you can add packages
> from the cdroms post-install, but I presume that hasn't happened yet on FC6,
> which is going to be another 8 days of dialup downloading for me to get it.
> > --
Well the yum problem is up in the air. I reinstalled and yum is working
so far. But somehow pirut skrewed up the system so that youm was looking
for fc5 rpms on the fc6 machine. Clearly that was a disaster.

To be or not to be, that is the bottom line.
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net