How to mount and umount a USB pen drive without being root?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Mon Nov 6 00:03:51 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-11-05 at 23:58 +0000, Paul Smith wrote:
> On 11/5/06, Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> wrote:
> > > How to mount and umount a USB pen drive without being root?
> > ----
> > which sort of explains...
> > - why 'safely remove' didn't work for you (because it is in user space)
> > - why copying didn't work (probably because you were mounting as root
> > and copying as user)
>
> Thanks, Craig. I do not know what KDE does internally. If one could
> manually mount pen drives as mere users (and not only as root), then
> one would escape from the KDE bug... :-)
----
mount should occur automatically as user - at least it has in FC-3, FC-4
and FC-5 and I assume FC-6 but I haven't tested FC-6 yet.

As I suggested in another e-mail on this thread, IF you are logged in as
user and you insert USB Key/pen whatever you want to call it...it should
be automatically mounted as the logged in user in /media/usb-disk or
something very similar in /media

This of course assumes that you haven't mucked with /etc/fstab or udev

Craig