Tips for passing the media check

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Mon Nov 6 18:46:15 UTC 2006

On Monday 06 November 2006 17:42, Paul Howarth wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> > On Monday 06 November 2006 16:36, Paul Howarth wrote:
> >> Indeed, and turning off DMA doesn't always fix the problem either. Alan
> >> Cox suggests just not bothering with the media check at all.
> >
> > I don't see the need for it if the sha1sums have been checked.  I always
> > skip it.
>
> That checks that you've downloaded the ISO images OK, but doesn't check
> that your media is burned correctly. Best way to do that is to grab the
> data back off the burned media, truncate the resulting file to the same
> length as the original ISO (not always necessary, depends on your
> hardware) and then run the sha1sum on that file.

No need for that if you use k3b.  I haven't tried it in FC6 yet, so can only
speak up to FC4.  D3b uses/used md5sum instead of sha1sum, but the principle
is the same.  It calculates the md5sum of the .iso file, burns the disk,
then, assuming you have set 'verify' it calculates the md5sum of the disk.
If they match you have a winner - and providing you use burnfree and don't
burn too fast most times they will match.

Anne