fc6 ssh/rsync 60 second delay

Mike Wright xktnniuymlla at mailinator.com
Mon Nov 6 20:36:11 UTC 2006

Mike McGrath wrote:
>> Perhaps the real question is, "What has changed that makes the two
>> versions behave so differently.  fc4 has ssh-4.0 and fc6 has ssh-4.3.
>> Can that alone explain the difference in behaviors?
>

> have you done what we asked?  Even if it doesn't work it'll help us
> narrow down the issue.

Sure, Mike.

Yes, I added the hostnames of the remote machines to the fc6 /etc/hosts
file, and added "order hosts,bind" to /etc/resolv.conf.  Once those were
added to THAT machine it doesn't experience the delays.

I've been hard at work combing through my dns.  It is the same database
I'd been hosting on boxes since rh5.2.  I think it may be related to not
having adequate reverses for the 10.in-addr.arpa zones.

If that turns out to be the solution it means I've been surviving on
luck for years :(  It also means that my rh8, fc4, and their predecessor
boxes haven't been checking for reverses adequately.

I'll follow through with the results of my tests.  In the meanwhile if
there are other insights, I'm all eyes,ears,etc.

Thanks!
:m)