i386 RPMs in x86_64 repos?

alan alan at clueserver.org
Mon Nov 6 21:07:10 UTC 2006

On Mon, 6 Nov 2006, Neil Bird wrote:

>  A friend updated his box FC4 to FC6 recently, and it didn't go too well.
> One of the things I've noticed is that he has >300 'duplicate' RPM entries,
> with both i386 & x86_64 versions apparently installed on top of each other.
>
>  Looking at the release/updates repos., there are lots of i386 & x86_64 RPMs
> alongside each other there.
>
>  Is that right?

Yes.

On an AMD64 you can run 32bit and 64 bit apps.  They include the libraries
for both because you may have apps linked against either one.  You may
also have 32 bit apps installed because the 64 bit versions have issues or
do not have plug-ins available.  (Some people run 32 bit Firefox because
they cannot get flash and other programs built for 64 bits.)

--
Q: Why do programmers confuse Halloween and Christmas?
A: Because OCT 31 == DEC 25