Does pirut and yuum really work in FC6

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Mon Nov 6 22:04:02 UTC 2006

Aaron Konstam wrote:

> You points have some validity except for the following:
> 1. Both times I did a clean install the updated happened without my
> doing anything.
> 2. You are right the appearance of the FC5 packages caused the trouble.
> However, where did they come from in a clean install. One persons
> suggestion that the dries.repo was the culprit. That may well be the
> case but I can't check it now.

Possible repository misconfiguration or a potential Yumex bug as
suggested in the other thread by another user.

> 3. Well GNOME disappeared in the space of one day. I did nothing but run
> yum and run Add and Remove software but at no time did I ask it to
> remove GNOME. I have no evidence as to what happened to GNOME but you
> will have to believe me that I ran no program that I would expect to
> remove software.

Did you unselect any packages in Add/Remove software (Pirut) list of
packages? If so, that package might have had a dependency on GNOME and
would have been removed after a prompt. If you have the yum log, that
would show you what actually happened on the system.

> Finally, the bugzilla you indicate above reports behavior contrary to
> the behavior I have observed. On my machine the automatic updates occur
> periodically until I disabled the feature.

What do you actually mean by automatic updates? Fedora Core 6 does not
do automatic updates by default. The notification system (Puplet) does
not automatically install packages. It merely does update notifications
and you will have to manually click on it which launches Software
updates (pup) and then click on update button to perform the actual
updates. Did you manually reconfigure /etc/yum/yum-updatesd.conf to do
automatic updates? How did you disable  "automatic updates"?

Rahul