Updating a headless server to fc6 ?

Adam Gibson static at xstatica.com
Tue Nov 7 02:28:53 UTC 2006

Lonni J Friedman wrote:
> On 11/6/06, Kim Lux <lux at diesel-research.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, 2006-11-07 at 00:47 +0000, Ian Chapman wrote:
>> > You just need to manually install the
>> > fedora-release file from fc6 and then do a yum update.
>>
>> Where would I find instructions to do this ?
>
> install fedora-release* RPMs, then run "yum -y upgrade", reboot and
> you're finished.

I usually run screen in case of a disconnection from the server during
the update.  You would not want the yum to quit in the middle of an upgrade.

I also pipe the output to 'tee' so that I can save the output to a file
to go over any .rpmsave and .rpmnew files for changes.

I usually do it this way:
1. run screen.  Don't run yum as an argument to screen or screen will
quit afterwards.
screen
2. run yum piping the output to tee.
yum upgrade | tee upgrade.log