Livna nVidia Drivers on PNY G-Force 6200 (128MB)

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Tue Nov 7 03:49:55 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-11-06 at 05:10 -0700, Christopher A. Williams wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-11-04 at 09:51 -0800, Lonni J Friedman wrote:
> > On 11/4/06, Christopher A. Williams <chrisw01 at comcast.net> wrote:
> > > Does anyone have experience getting the Livna nVidia drivers to behave
> > > on FC6 with the G-Force 6200? Here's my story:
> > >
> > > I had an old G-Force 5200FX (128MB/AGP). Attempting to run with the
> > > current Livna drivers immediately froze the system when X started. The
> > > only option was a hard reset, rescue CD, update to default at runlevel 3
> > > and uninstall to return to the opensource driver.
> > >
> > > Thinking it may be hardware issues (but also being on a tight budget), I
> > > replaced the old card with a shiny new PNY G-Force 6200 (128MB/AGP). The
> > > Livna drivers now no longer freeze the system, but I am only able to run
> > > at 800x600 resolution, regardless of how I manually adjust display
> > > settings. Higher resolutions work fine when falling back to the
> > > opensource driver, but I have constant video repaint issues,
> > > particularly when typing text. The current Livna beta drivers still
> > > totally lock the system (with a grey screen at startup).
> > >
> > > I've perused (briefly) NVnews and the Livna bugzilla system for hints,
> > > but thought I would also post here to see if I missed something (which
> > > is quite possible).
> >
> > Post your X log.
>
> Had problems over the weekend with e-mail bounces, so I'm replying to
> this part of the thread.
>
> It turns out that if I specify the any resolution of 1600X1200 or lower,
> everything is OK. Any resolution higher than that is not recognized,
> even though my monitor and card should be capable of higher than that.
>
> Could this just be a bug?

Probably, but the bug is likely in xorg and not with nvidia.  The newer
version of X, especially in FC6, uses the ddc reported capabilities of
the monitor to set its values.  The xorg developers are trying to use
the reported capabilities of the hardware (which is non-standard between
manufacturers) to configure the Xwindows system. Values in xorg.conf are
mostly manually set now to override the automatically configured values.

If your hardware (monitor and adapter) is (per specs) capable of more
than X allows then it should be reported as a bug to xorg so they can
fix the configuration in xorg to try and support it properly.